Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Long Weekend = A few Book Reviews!!

I had a very productive weekend!  Not only did I get a lot done around the house, spend time with my fam, but I also read a few books that I want to share with you!  A couple were books that I loaded on my Nook (they were not free), and one was an actual fleshy book.

The Mind Readers

Ok, the first one was the book called "The Mind Readers" by Lori Brighton.  This is the description:

Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows that Cameron can read minds. When Lewis Douglas arrives, he tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a place where she meets other Mind Readers. But when the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron’s abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs.

I liked the premise of this book.  What would it be like to be able to read peoples minds?  For some people, it would be easy to keep this superpower secret.  It wasn't that easy for Cameron.  She and her grandmother had to move every time Cameron got involved in a situation where she made her mind reading abilities public.

I had a hard time getting emotionally involved with any of the characters.  There was little known about Cameron's mother, just that she was a drug addict that left Cameron with her grandmother.  Her father had been out of the picture for a long time, maybe killed?  There were also a lot of characters introduced, and I was really wishing that I could feel something for them, but they all fell flat.

I also had a hard time with the fact that even though Cameron had reservations about leaving with Lewis, she still did, because he was hot.  So many times she went against her gut feeling.  Get a backbone, girl!

I might read the next one, just because I want to see what happens with Lewis, Maddox, and the twist that Maddox brought at the end of the story.

** This book had a little more swearing than I like to read, and some innuendo, and make-out scenes.
The Kind of Friends We Used To Be

Next book I want to tell you about is "The Kind of Friends We Used to Be" by Frances O'Roark Dowell.

Kate and Marylin are smack dab in the middle of middle school-seventh grade-and lately being stuck in the middle is starting to feel like a regular theme in both of their lives. They know that they can never be best friends like they used to be, not after Marylin became the kind of person who cares too much about hair (a.k.a. a middle school cheerleader). But, what if they still kind of want to be friends . . . and what if that's much harder than they ever imagined?

This is a book that my 12 year old daughter brought home from school.  I had it read in a couple of hours.  This was a cute read, and a lot of fun, because this is the stage that my daughter is going through right now.  These 2 girls, Kate and Marylin, have been friends since a young age, and they are now thrust into that big, bad world of middle school.  I enjoyed watching them start to learn about themselves as they were put in different situations, met new friends, and realize that people really didn't have to fit in the molds that they thought they should in order for us to like them.  Lessons we all can learn each day!

Fools Rush In (Weddings by Bella, #1)

The last book I read (which was also my favorite of the weekend) was "Fools Rush In"  by Janice Thompson.  This was also bought for my Nook.

Bella Rossi's life is just starting to get interesting. When her Italian-turned-Texan parents hand over the family wedding-planning business, Bella quickly books a Boot-Scootin' wedding that would make any Texan proud. There's only one catch--she doesn't know a thing about country music. Where will she find a deejay on such short notice who knows his Alan Jackson from his George Strait? And will Bella ever get to plan her own wedding?

I loved this book for so many reasons!!  I loved the dynamics of this fun, boisterous, Italian family!  A parrot that went from talking like a sailor to talking like a saint?  A broom wielding aunt chasing neighbor kids down the street?  Not to mention the soft spot I've always had for cowboys...  I laughed out loud in so many places in this story! 

If you want a light, fun read, this book is for you!  I did read in a review where the person was offended because she wasn't warned that this book had talk about religion in it.  So, I am "warning" you (haha) that there is some general religious talk in this book (a few different religions), and faith is a big part of Bella and D.J.'s backgrounds.

Now, what are you waiting for???  Go READ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment