Monday, February 7, 2011

New Adventure

I love to read. Always have. When I was young, we had to drive across the city to go to the nearest library. My mom would get upset at me because I would have read almost a whole book by the time we got home. As I got older, I would hide books under piles of clean clothes that I was supposed to be folding, or under my pillow so I could read at night.

The only time that I did not enjoy reading, was in College. I was taking my freshman English class, and we were required to read The Red Badge of Courage. I had never read the book before and was looking forward to it. I got almost halfway through it, and the teacher informed us that we needed to write a paper on it. This was not a normal "book report". We had to analyze the book, find all the colors that were in the book, and report on the significance of the colors that the author had used. Yeah. Isn't reading supposed to be for enjoyment? for escape? That's what I had always thought. Tearing apart this book (not literally...) was not enjoyable for me. It took a while for me to pick up another book.

Now, I am back to reading for enjoyment and escape. I love just about all types of books, but lately have been leaning more to the YA genre. My favorite authors, you ask? James Michener (not light reads, but so descriptive and informative), Sue Grafton (LOVE her ABC series, gotta love Kinsey Milhone), Tolkien, Louis L'Amour, Stephenie Meyer (The Host is one of my all-time favorite books), Love the Hunger Games trilogy too.

I've been trying to instill my love of reading into my children. Some have caught on, some have not. I enjoy reading the books that they are reading and enjoying. I have always told my kids that "books are our friends", and they need to treat them nicely. Now, I want to introduce you to some of my "friends", some new and some old. Hopefully, you will love them and enjoy them as much as I do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment